Search Feature

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Beef Cheek Rellenos in the BPS Drum





Beef cheek rellenos are one of my favorite things. I've stuffed the peppers individually, battered and fried them. I've stuffed the peppers and placed them in a cast iron skillet, covered them with batter and cooked them in the smoker.
This time I layered the ingredients "lasagna" style and let the BPS drum to the work.

I blistered, steamed and peeled some anaheim peppers (my favorites)...







I started with a layer of peeled, seeded peppers...



topped with cooked beef cheeks, onions and peppers..



added asadero cheese...



Then repeated the layers two more times...



ending with beef...




made my batter, 8 eggs whites whipped, 8 egg yolks beaten, and 8 TBS of flour folded into the mix..



poured the batter over the meat and peppers........



sprinkled with a bit of dry rub...



into the BPS drum at 325F...



I let it cook for about one hour. Tested the top to make sure it was set.







I made a rellenos sauce by cooking onions and garlic in oil until tender. Added 1 teaspoon of oregano. Then added 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup of tomato sauce, then simmering 10 minutes.

The relleno batter has no salt so the sauce is a must. ( at least for my taste buds :))




It was tasty and pretty easy to make, well... after you blister and peel the peppers. Next time I might take another short cut and buy the frozen peeled peppers just to see how much difference they would make.  Sounds like I am getting lazy! lol
My favorite rellenos are the individual dipped and fried version, but this was a nice time saver. :)






2 comments:

Sid said...

Looks tasty as always. I,ll have to give the sauce a try. I usually just grab a jar of salsa (no, not the New York City! kind. :)Hope your enjoying a nice cooling trend back there after that summer you had. I woke up this morning to our first sub-freezing temp. So much for my late season tomatoes!

cowgirl said...

Brrrr Chris.. Sounds cold in your area! Any chance of bringing one of your plants inside to winter in the house?
Really glad to hear you don't use the NYC salsa. :)
The weather has cooled some here, thanks. The wind has been unreal. Ate a lot of dirt yesterday. :)

Thanks Chris, hope your weekend is going well!