Search Feature

Monday, October 28, 2013

Beef Stuffed Onions in the DO (Dutch Oven)





I love these things and never think to make them at home....but I always crave them when camping. Kind of like eggs benedict.  I love those too but rarely make them at home.

Think I need to do a week of campfire meals in the back yard this winter. :)

These are basically meat loaf stuffed onions, sitting on a bed of potatoes, then plopped on the hot coals and baked til done. I start by using the biggest sweet onions I can find.
Place a good layer of cubed potatoes in the bottom of the dutch oven. 


I cut and measure the onions too see how many will fit. It depends on how big they are and which DO I'm using.


Then I scoop out all but two or three layers of onion. I save the rest of the onion for other meals. Place the halves on top of the cubed tatoes.



The meatloaf stuffing is just a mixture of ground beef, onion powder, beef bouillon, ketsup, seasoned salt, minced onion, 2 eggs, water and fresh bread crumbs.





I filled the onions...piled the filling high.



then sprinkled them with crushed dried seasoned bread crumbs...
( I kind of got carried away with them, could have used less)


Put about 2 cups of beef stock in the pot....almost covered the cubed potatoes.

Topped the DO with a lid, set it in the tire rim and put a small shovel of hot coals on the top.


I let them hang out for 45 minutes.  You can smell the onions and meat roasting, it's sooooooo nice. :)






After 45 minutes they were ready...



The tops have a nice little crunch from the seasoned bread crumbs... the meat is moist and the tatoes are tender from simmering in the beef stock.







These are so tasty, one of my favorite camp meals. They also are easy to wrap individually and freeze for a quick meal later.
It's 9:14 pm right now and my tummy is growling thinking about these. lol
  I might have to make a batch tonight. :)


14 comments:

Remmy700P said...

That looks pretty good. Never would have thought of using hollowed onions as a container for the protein. Will definitely try this one on the next camp trip.

LindaG said...

You could open a restaurant with what you know.
Another great looking meal. :-)

poetcomic1 said...

Where can I buy one of those tire rims? Are they expensive? Just kidding - I'm not that citified.

Three Dogs BBQ said...

Those look great Jeanie. I may have to experiment.

2 Tramps said...

Those look so fabulous! It is onion season here - the new crops have been harvested and we are enjoying the bounty. Time to get out the dutch oven and make your recipe - thanks!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Longunner! I used to fill both ends of the onion, put back together and wrap in foil and cook in the coals. It works pretty good too.
Hope you're having a great week. :)

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Linda! That would cut into my fishin' time. :)
Hope you had a nice weekend! :)

cowgirl said...

hahaa Poetcomic! They're pretty high dollar cookers. :)

cowgirl said...

Bill thanks! Hope they turn out well for ya. :)

cowgirl said...

2 Tramps thank you! Great that onion season is there. Bet those fresh ones are really tasty!
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Chris said...

I am going to make these asap! Stuffed bell peppers rock but I have not done onions like this. It sounds fantastic!

Paul said...

Yum!! Doing it soon. Thanks Jeanie.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Chris, hope you like em! :)

cowgirl said...

Hey Paul, good to see ya. Thanks for stopping by!