Search Feature

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Breakfast on the Tractor Tire Rim






Had to make my favorite breakfast while camping last week. I just love the stuff! The addition of wood smoke to the eggs benedict makes it irresistible for me. :)

Burned the wood down to get a good bed of hot coals...







Started the hollandaise sauce, it takes the most attention and is easy to reheat later when needed.
I use three egg yolks, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, whisk in tablespoons of butter (three or more), then season with salt and pepper. ( you can add what ever seasonings you like)  Keep whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick. Set it off the heat for later.



Next I grill the ham, fry some eggs (in butter) and toast the english muffins...



I baste the eggs with the hot butter to set the tops...






Topped a couple of grilled muffins with the ham...



then the eggs....


drizzled with hollandaise....







It was pretty tasty at the time. :)



The campground had to close due to the government shut down but I enjoyed the time that I spent there.
Did lots of campfire cooking, star gazing... and good ole soul searching. :)

14 comments:

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

UMMMMMMMM! OMG that looks so good and the view!!!!!! Beautiful!

Bushman said...

Looks great. I have actually never made hollandaise sauce. I'll have to give it a go! Sorry your camp got shut down. Stupid govt'

Tango Joe said...

Both the food and the views are amazing!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Steve! It was kind of nice out there. Hope hunting is going well for you. :)

cowgirl said...

Bushman thanks! Yeah... stupid govt. lol Reminds me, I was supposed to call a number and get a refund for the nights I didn't stay but paid for.
Hope you give hollandaise a try, it's easy as long as you keep whisking. :)

cowgirl said...

Hey Joe, thanks! Hope you're ready for winter, feels like it's right around the corner. :)

Chris said...

Alexis LOVES hollandaise sauce on eggs, asparagus, etc. We do a basic one like yours except for adding a touch of red pepper. I've caught her licking the last of it from the container ;)

You are making me want to break out my tire rim, it hasn't been used since the end of last winter.

Three Dogs BBQ said...

Breakfast is my favorite meal for sure and you do know how to put out a spread Jeanie.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Chris! Hope all's going well on your end of the world! :)

cowgirl said...

Bill thank you! I'm a fan of breakfast too, any time of the day. :)

Jim Dorchak said...

Hey CG, Jim Dorchak here in Chile! I have not had good internet since july to be able to comment.
I need to cook good ole smoked pork BBQ on a new grill i am having built, for my new Chileano friends. They have miserable BBQ sauce here. Do you have a good sauce recipe? I have made my own sauces before but i do not have any of the recipes here yet. Can i beg a good recipe or two from you please? A sweet & sour would be nice as well as a hot and spicy!

Thanks in advance. I will check back.

Jim Dorchak

cowgirl said...

Hey Jim! Great to see you, hope all is going well for you in Chile. I will look up some sauce recipes and post them for you. Might take me a day or two but I'll hurry. :)
You need to start a blog down there so we can see pics of your area. Bet it's beautiful!
Thanks for stopping by, talk to you soon.

Jim Dorchak said...

CG
Every Morning I wake up and, from my bed, I see the sun rise from behind a snow capped dormant volcano. It is like the scenery from the Sound of Music here. I is wonderful here and I am not coming back to the USA.
I sure do thank you in advance for the BBQ sauce ideas. I have not shipped my container down here yet and all my sauce recipes are packed in it.
My wife Lori has a private blog, that she insists is only for her sister and my mother in law, but I am working on one that I will get up and going as soon as I get the desktop computer down here (also in the container).
It is spring here and Chile is just beautiful with very kind gentle people as well.

Jim Dorchak

cowgirl said...

Jim.... sounds so beautiful down there! :)
I'll get those recipes posted asap.