Search Feature

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Venison Backstrap Stuffed with Wild Dove



Wasn't really sure what to call this. I've made them before and really like em. I was able to use some of the dove from opening day.....and also a piece of venison backstrap from last rifle season.



the backstrap was from a white tail doe...



butterflied the venison to lay flat, gave the meat a quick cure with TenderQuick for one hour..



I de-boned the dove breasts...



pounded them flat and seasoned with Pookie G's Season All (good stuff!!)




Rinsed the cured backstrap and layered with the seasoned dove breasts...




Rolled up and wrapped in a bacon weave to hold things in place...





Sprinkled with more Pookie G Season All and into the BPS drum....





hydrated some of my dried morels...



sauteed them in butter with scallions and garlic...







The dove stuffed venison loin, morels and wild rice blend...







I know I've said it before but this was one of my favorite meals!!
The quick cure keeps the venison moist and tender while bringing it up to a high enough temperature to cook the dove.
For me, wild morels and wild game just go together... I love the combination!

The meal brought back good memories of they days I spent hunting and gathering. :)

Thanks for looking!

10 comments:

LindaG said...

Congratulations on your doves!

Your cooking looks great, as always. :-)

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Pretty interesting dish Jeanie. Looks good. I've seen you cook dove before, but I am kind of wondering what something like that would taste like. Im thinking it's probably something like prairie chicken or grouse or something.

Ross in Ventura said...

Just looks wonderful Jeanie

Ross

Bushman said...

WOW! Amazing. I figured you would do it up proper!

cowgirl said...

Linda thank you! It's good to see ya, Hope all is well with you! :)

cowgirl said...

Mark how in the heck have you been? :)
The dove meat is dark... hmmmm not sure how to describe it. Tastes gamier than quail, probably more like grouse than prairie chicken. lol I'm not much help!
Hope you've been doing well. I guess winter is right around the corner for you. Thanks for stopping by Mark, it's good to see ya! :)

cowgirl said...

Ross thank you so much!! It's good to see you. :)
I am way behind on blog reading. Looking forward to seeing what all you've been cooking. Your meals are always fantastic!!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Bushman!! It turned out pretty tasty. The TQ cure sure makes the venison moist when cooking it so high. I still have some dove and plan on getting more. Will have to think of something different to do with the next batch.
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Paul said...

My goodness Jeanie it looks amazing, nice job.

cowgirl said...

Paul Thank you!! :)