Search Feature

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Venison, Morel and Wild Onion Time





I make this every spring, as soon as the wild onions start popping up around the farm. It's one of my favorites!

I was lucky enough to find some morel mushrooms this year. I like to pair them with some of the white tail venison from rifle season and add a few wild onions for added flavor. The combo of wild game and wild gatherings just seem to go together.
Course I had to throw bacon in the mix this time. Just couldn't resist.



cleaned the wild onions and washed the mushrooms well...




sauteed them in butter til tender....then let them cool while I butterflied a piece of backstrap...




I gave the venison a quick 2 hr cure with Tenderquick, then rinsed well...



layered the backstrap with the cooled shrooms and onions...



rolled and wrapped in a bacon weave to hold things together....



into the drum til done...







I like to get the bacon  nice and crisp...





The morel, wild onion stuffed venison with extra sauteed morels (cause I love em). :)






The meal definitely brings back memories of deer season and morel hunting... two things I love to do!


Getting lots of rain here which is great!! Best spring I've seen in a long time. :)


6 comments:

Sid said...

Hi Jeanie, from one baconholic to another, AWESOME!:) Glad your having a good wet spring, should be good for the live stock. Meanwhile, I'll shut off another sprinkler and plant another cactus and hope the weather changes soon.:)

cowgirl said...

Hi Chris! Glad to hear you are a baconholic too. :D
Really hope your drought situation improves, I know it's bad out there.
I'm getting more rain than I've seen in years, will definitely send some your way.
Hope you have a nice Memorial Weekend.
Looks like I'm heading out for 4 days.
Great to see ya!
Thanks Chris... :)

Bushman said...

I had the good fortune of finding 48 morels in a flower bed in my back yard. So we had a mushroom fry last friday night. We also fried up chicken wings, shrimp and french fries all while draining large volumes of beer. What a great night that was! I like your combo of venison, wild onions and mushrooms. "Taking it back to nature" is what I would call that dish.

cowgirl said...

Bushman that's great!! Both finding the morels and your cookout. Sounds like a perfect night! :D
I bet it all tasted great and you can't go wrong with cold beer to wash it down. I'm going to have to try your menu. Thanks!
I like back to nature meals...brings back good memories of hunting, both deer and morels.
Think I might be an outdoors person. lol
Hope you have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Venison rouladen! I love it,

cowgirl said...

Thanks unknown! :)